Washington County Hospital
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Conference Rooms A and B
J. W. Metcalf, First Vice Chair
Member Not Present:
Dale Blohm, excused
Audrey Finke, excused
Nancy Newby, CEO
Dave Davenport, HR Director (exited 7:55 p.m.)
Ruth Kellerman, QA Coordinator (exited 7:55 p.m.)
Kim Larkin, CIO (exited 7:55 p.m.)
Tammy Amizich (exited 7:55 p.m.)
Others Not Present:
Elaine Matzenbacher, CFO, excused
Alfonso Urdaneta, Medical Staff President, excused
Called to Order: 6:58 p.m.
Adjourned: 8:18 p.m.
The agenda of the April 23, 2013, meeting of the Washington County Hospital Board of Directors was presented for review and approval.
On a motion by Greg Engele and second by Bill Manier, the Board unanimously voted to approve the April 23, 2013, meeting agenda.
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
The following meetings minutes were presented for review and approval:
- Board of Directors, March 26, 2013.
- Finance Committee, March 26, 2013.
On a motion by Victor Lopez and second by Matt Bierman, the Board unanimously voted to approve the aforementioned meetings minutes.
Financial and Statistical Report
Nancy Newby, CEO, presented the Financial and Statistical Report for March 2013. Highlights of the report were:
Total Patient Revenue was $1,831,797. Total Provisions were $795,917. Total Net Operating Revenue was $1,222,693. Total Operating Expenses were $1,137,995. Income from Operations was $84,698, with YTD Income ($124,953). Total Non-Operating Revenue was $34,879, with YTD Total Non-Operating Revenue of $550,072. Total Income was $119,577, with YTD Income $425,119.
Additional noted items:
- Contractual Adjustments were 13.1% under budget in the month. Bad Debts were $72,723 (27.2% over budget).
- Other Operating Revenue was over budget by $130,936 in the month as the hospital received $145,810 in additional EHR meaningful use funds that were requested in January.
- Employee benefits were 15.7% under budget. Group Health insurance was the primary reason for this.
On a motion by Diane Nottmeyer and second by Victor Lopez, the Board unanimously voted to approve the March 2013 Financial and Statistical Report.
Kim Larkin, CIO, provided the following IS and CT updates:
- Star Garden – Payroll, Timekeeping and Human Resources
- The second parallel test run will be conducted this week. Staff have done an outstanding job in completing this task in addition to their daily responsibilities.
- Next week, managers will be trained on Monday and Tuesday; then the remainder of the week managers will train their staff. The following week, managers will return for training on additional features. Then we’ll focus on the HR component.
- CT Scanner
- Siemens will be on site next week to finalize room layout; installation is still scheduled for September.
WCH Medical Staff Officers FY2013-2015
At the April Medical Staff meeting, members elected officers as follows: Alfonso Urdaneta, M.D., president; Mohammed Siddiqui, M.D., vice president; and Robert Davidson, M.D., secretary.
On a motion by Bill Manier and second by Greg Engele, the Board unanimously voted to approve the aforementioned election of Medical Staff officers for FY 2013-2015.
PACS IDS-7 Upgrade
Kim Larkin, CIO, reviewed the following information as provided in the April Board Management Report:
- Our IDS-5 PACS system has been in place for five years, now. If you recall, the original project was funded with a HRSA grant in conjunction with the RHC installation of NextGen Ambulatory. Our current equipment is reaching its end of product life point and is in need of replacement. Additionally, this new version of PACS provides some functionality that we have not had up until now.
- Current workflow is to send CT and US images that are performed on ER patients after regular hours to Clinical Radiology (ClinRad). They provide a preliminary report and the following morning Dr. Biermann (usually) reviews the preliminary report, the images acquired and any prior related studies before he dictates a final report. Generally, we do not send “plain film” or regular x-rays to ClinRad after hours as the ER physicians should be able to interpret those on a preliminary basis. The final report is usually available by mid-afternoon on the day that Dr. Biermann dictates. Studies performed on Friday evening through the weekend are not final read until Monday, creating a less than ideal situation.
- The result of this current workflow is that we do have discrepancies/additional findings between the ER interpretation and the final radiology report and on rare occasion even between the preliminary report provided by call staff at ClinRad and the final report. This presents some difficulties in that those discrepancies must be tracked and reported in QA and the patient and family provider must be notified as soon as possible so that treatment may be modified if necessary.
- With PACS IDS-7, ClinRad will be able to provide final interpretations on all studies, 24/7, on all modalities, not just CT and US. The new platform allows them to work from anywhere as though they were on site. It allows them full access to prior related studies.
- This is a huge improvement in service for WCH and an improvement for ClinRad as they can better manage radiologist workload in order to improve turn-around time and productivity.
- I have been working with Electromek and ClinRad to find a cost effective way to upgrade our system. Because this upgrade benefits ClinRad as well as WCH, I was able to negotiate such that ClinRad will be providing the workstation for the Radiologist. This single item represents a savings of $14,800.
- The entire upgrade was originally priced at $67,000, but we were able to negotiate on several components and reduced the cost to $32,198. This price also represents a 20% trade-in discount on all hardware. I will be happy to answer any questions at the Board meeting and will be asking for a motion to upgrade.
On a motion by Bill Manier and second by Diane Nottmeyer, the Board unanimously voted to approve the purchase of PACS IDS-7 from Electromek at a cost of $32,198.00.
Budget FY2013-14 Presentation
- The FY2013-14 Budget was presented to the Finance Committee in detail at their meeting on April 17.
- The FY2013-14 Budget Summary was presented to the Board, as well as the Capital Equipment List.
On a motion by Greg Engele and second by Bill Manier, the Board unanimously voted to approve FY2013-14 Budget as presented.
- In 2009, WCH was awarded a grant of approximately $347,000 from the Hospital Capital Investment Program. Initially, half of the grant was received, and WCH purchased Steris equipment for surgery and Omnicell automated medication dispensing cabinet. The construction project of a data/storage facility was put on hold pending receipt of remaining grant funds.
- Recently, grant recipients received notice that there’s been an amendment to extend the grant term to June 30, 2015.
- With extremely low CD rates, and WCH having cash on hand, the Finance Committee asked that the full Board consider moving forward with this project.
- Discussion ensued regarding specs for various areas of storage, in particular, for the IT server room.
On a motion by Victor Lopez and second by Diane Nottmeyer, the Board unanimously voted to approve the rebidding of the project, with particular review of IT server room specs, and present bids at the next meeting in order to proceed with the construction of the data/storage facility.
Scheduling of Joint Conference Committee Meeting
Scheduling of a quarterly Joint Conference Committee meeting was postponed since not all committee members present; subsequently, a meeting date will be determined at a later time.
WCH Auxiliary Annual Luncheon
WCH Auxiliary’s Annual Luncheon is scheduled on Thursday, May 9, at noon in the conference. Board members are welcome to attend.
- Annual Health Fair will be Thursday, May 16, 7:00-10:00 a.m. Lab screenings at reduced rates will be available along with informational/educational booths with many giveaways. An eight-foot tall pop-up banner will be stationed in the front lobby displaying WCH Medical Group, outpatient clinics and physicians and various WCH services.
- A revised and more colorful version of the billboard project was circulated.
IHA Small & Rural Annual Meeting
- Reminder: This annual conference for hospital trustees and administrative staff is scheduled this year for June 18-20 at the Crowne Plaza in Springfield.
- Interested members should contact Nancy in order to complete meeting registrations and hotel accommodations.
- Historically, IHA has offered two or three grants per hospital to cover the cost. We are awaiting information regarding any assistance for this year.
Community Questions and Answers
No community questions.
At 7:55 p.m. on a motion by Bill Manier and second by Matt Bierman, the Board unanimously approved to enter closed session under Open Meetings Public Act 88-621 Sections 2(C)(17)(21). Bierman AYE, Bronke AYE, Engele AYE, Lopez AYE, Manier AYE, Metcalf AYE, Nottmeyer AYE. Motion carried.
At 8:16 p.m. on a motion by Greg Engele and second by Bill Manier, the Board unanimously approved to leave closed session and re-enter open session. Bierman AYE, Bronke AYE, Engele AYE, Lopez AYE, Manier AYE, Metcalf AYE, Nottmeyer AYE. Motion carried.
Board of Directors Closed Meeting Minutes
Medical Staff Meeting Minutes
QA/CQI Meetings Minutes
The following meeting minutes were presented for review and approval:
- Board of Directors closed, March 26, 2013.
- Medical Staff, February 6, 2013.
- QA/CQI, January 17 and February 21, 2013.
On a motion by Diane Nottmeyer and second by Victor Lopez, the Board unanimously voted to approve the aforementioned meeting minutes.
Medical Staff Credentials and Clinical Privileges
Board members reviewed the Medical Executive Committee’s recommendations and information received during the credentialing processes. Based on this review, it was the Board’s opinion that the applicants have met the requirements for Medical Staff appointment and clinical privileges as recommended.
On a motion by Victor Lopez and second by Greg Engele, the Board unanimously voted to approve the following Medical Staff appointments and clinical privileges:
- Terry M. Brown, D.O. – Provisional Staff, Sleep Study Services
- Dawn R. Miesner, D.O. – Provisional Staff, Family Medicine Services
WCH Medical Staff and Allied Health Professionals Staff Biennial Reappointments
Board members reviewed the Medical Executive Committee’s recommendations and information received during the biennial reappointment process. Based on this review, it was the Board’s opinion that the applicants have met the requirements for Medical Staff reappointment and clinical privileges as recommended.
On a motion by Bill Manier and second by Matt Bierman, the Board unanimously voted to approve the biennial reappointment of WCH Medical Staff members and Allied Health Professionals Staff members as presented (list on file).
On a motion by Bill Manier and second by Victor Lopez, the Board unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 8:18 p.m.
Victor Lopez, Secretary
Board of Directors
Washington County Hospital
Dale Blohm, Board Chairman
J.W. Metcalf, 1st Vice Chairman
Diane Nottmeyer, 2nd Vice Chairman
Victor Lopez, Secretary
Greg Engele, Treasurer
Bill Manier, Member
Audrey Finke, Member
Matt Bierman, Member
Nancy Newby, Chief Executive Officer
Tammy Amizich, Chief Nurse Executive
Kim Larkin, Chief Information Officer
Elaine Matzenbacher, Chief Financial Officer
Dave Davenport, Human Resources Director
Ruth Kellerman, Quality Coordinator
board meeting dates
of Directors agenda & minutes