Washington County Hospital
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Conference Rooms A and B
Dale Blohm, Chair
J. W. Metcalf
Member Not Present:
Greg Engele, excused
Nancy Newby, CEO
Dave Davenport, HR Director (exited 8:27 p.m.)
Ruth Kellerman, QA Coordinator (exited 8:27 p.m.)
Kim Larkin, CIO (exited 8:27 p.m.)
Elaine Matzenbacher, CFO
Tammy Amizich, CNE (exited 8:27 p.m.)
Robin Biermann, M.D., Medical Director of Radiology
(arrived 7:18 p.m.; exited 8:20 p.m.)
Others Not Present:
Alfonso Urdaneta, M.D., Medical Staff President, excused
Called to Order: 7:03 p.m.
Adjourned: 8:57 p.m.
The agenda of the February 26, 2013, meeting of the Washington County Hospital Board of Directors was presented for review and approval.
The following amendment was made:
Add: IV. H. Public Disclosure – J. W. Metcalf
On a motion by Diane Nottmeyer and second by Bill Manier, the Board unanimously voted to approve the February 26, 2013, meeting agenda with the aforementioned amendment.
Introduction and Welcome
Oath of Office
Chair Dale Blohm introduced new Board member Dan Bronke. Dan is an attorney and was with the Jackson County State’s Attorney Office for four years, and the past two years he has been with Jim Hanson’s law firm in Mt. Vernon and recently opened an office in Nashville. All attendees introduced themselves.
Dan Bronke then took the WCH Board member oath of office administered by Chair Dale Blohm.
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Finance Committee Meeting Minutes
The following meetings minutes were presented for review and approval:
- Board of Directors, January 29, 2013.
- Finance Committee, January 29, 2013.
On a motion by J. W. Metcalf and second by Audrey Finke, the Board unanimously voted to approve the aforementioned meetings minutes.
Financial and Statistical Report
Elaine Matzenbacher, CFO, presented the Financial and Statistical Report for January 2013. Highlights of the report were:
Total Patient Revenue was $1,950,795. Total Provisions were $829,713. Total Net Operating Revenue was $1,223,826. Total Operating Expenses were $1,153,370. Income from Operations was $70,456, with YTD Income ($234,563). Total Non-Operating Revenue was $43,536, with YTD Total Non-Operating Revenue of $483,054. Total Income was $113,992, with YTD Income $248,491.
Additional noted items:
- Total Patient Revenues were 0.8% ($16,387) under budget for the month of January.
- Contractual Adjustments were 9.5% under budget in the month. Bad Debts were $48,678 (15% under budget).
- Other Operating Revenue was over budget by $56,811 in the month as Medicaid has finally cut loose of money for RAP, SNAP and double assessment payments.
- Salaries were 8.3% over budget due to inpatient volumes (mainly swing) being up significantly and new employees’ orientations. (There was also a holiday in January.) However, this was 7-8% lower than last year.
- Non-Operating Income was over budget due to grant income received.
- Cash and Investments were up to $1,105,387 compared to a year ago of $252,673.
On a motion by Audrey Finke and second by Diane Nottmeyer, the Board unanimously voted to approve the January 2013 Financial and Statistical Report.
Kim Larkin, CIO, provided the following IS and imaging updates:
- Star Garden – Payroll, Timekeeping and Human Resources
- Continue to progress with the payroll project.
- Currently in the testing phase to address issues before actual systems cutover.
- Still anticipate an early April payroll switch, then will focus on the HR component.
- Version 116 Upgrade
- NextGen financial application upgrade went well, and a full release will be made to other users.
- In process of upgrading application.
Nominating Committee Meeting in March
The Nominating Committee will meet on Monday, March 25, 2013, at 4:30 p.m. in the boardroom to develop a slate of Board Officers for FY2013-14.
Endoscopy Equipment Upgrade
- Tammy Amizich, CNE, presented bids (copy on file) to upgrade endoscopy equipment. Normal use expectancy is six years, and WCH equipment has an average age of 10 years.
- Jose Ramirez, M.D., conducts a weekly gastroenterology outpatient clinic at WCH and each of the past two years had over 450 cases. He was involved in the pilot use of equipment and highly recommended Fujinon—which was the lowest bid and new (not refurbished) equipment—over the Olympus brand.
- Discussion ensued regarding:
- Pros and cons of purchase vs. lease.
- If purchased, whether arrangements may be made for more than one payment—initial down payment then remainder at delivery. Tammy would investigate.
On a motion by J. W. Metcalf and second by Victor Lopez, the Board unanimously voted to approve the purchase of Fujinon upgrade endoscopy equipment at a price of $139,658.
CT Scanner Upgrade
- The five-year lease for the 16-slice GE CT scanner ends June 2013.
- Kim Larkin, diagnostic imaging supervisor, presented bids (copy on file) for CT scanner upgrade.
- Robin Biermann, M.D., medical director of radiology, participated in review of products.
- He recommended the Siemens, which is an established vendor and is also used by nearly 15 other critical access hospitals serviced by Clinical Radiologists, S.C., WCH’s contracted telerad services. Implementation would be in August 2013.
- A competing bidder, Neusoft, is breaking into the US market and is an unknown vendor. WCH would be the first US site to have Neusoft equipment.
- Discussion ensued regarding pros and cons of bids.
On a motion by Bill Manier and second by J. W. Metcalf, the Board unanimously voted to approve a five-year lease of Siemens 32/64-slice CT scanner at a monthly payment of $12,093.
The Board directed Elaine Matzenbacher to explore options for leasing with a $1 buyout.
Quarterly Status Report
Nancy reviewed in detail the Quarterly Status Report (copy on file) reporting that indicators were completed or on target.
Once again, WCH requested and was awarded a $9,000 SHIP (Small Hospital Improvement Plan) Grant. This year the grant must be used specifically to improve Quality reporting via electronic means.
- Community focus groups were conducted with very positive feedback. Final report will be shared when available and will be used for future marketing and strategic planning.
- 12 pole banners have been hung between the stop light and the fire station.
- Billboard has been posted at location near Baldwin House Agency.
- WCH 50th anniversary/historical articles have been published in Nashville News, and Sentinel “Visions,” and will be in Okawville Times in near future.
- Ads are running regarding WCH rehab therapy and rural health clinic services.
- Website update is still in progress and will include an updated Board member listing.
J. W. Metcalf conveyed that since his wife is now employed at WCH he will not participate in topics which may be a conflict of interest.
Community Questions and Answers
Clarification was provided regarding the endoscopy equipment upgrade.
At 8:27 p.m. on a motion by Audrey Finke and second by Matt Bierman, the Board took a roll call vote to enter closed session under Open Meetings Public Act 88-621 Sections 2(C)(17)(21). Bierman AYE, Blohm AYE, Bronke AYE, Finke AYE, Lopez AYE, Manier AYE, Metcalf AYE, Nottmeyer AYE. Motion carried.
At 8:55 p.m. on a motion by Victor Lopez and second by Audrey Finke, the Board took a roll call vote to leave closed session and re-enter open session. Bierman AYE, Blohm AYE, Bronke AYE, Finke AYE, Lopez AYE, Manier AYE, Metcalf AYE, Nottmeyer AYE. Motion carried.
Board of Directors Closed Meeting Minutes
Medical Staff Meeting Minutes
QA/CQI Meetings Minutes
The following meeting minutes were presented for review and approval:
- Board of Directors closed, January 29, 2013.
- Medical Staff, December 5, 2012.
- QA/CQI, November 15 and December 20, 2012.
On a motion by Audrey Finke and second by Diane Nottmeyer, the Board unanimously voted to approve the aforementioned meeting minutes.
Medical Staff Membership Change of Status
Board members reviewed the Medical Executive Committee’s recommendations and information received during the probationary processes. Based on this review, it was the Board’s opinion that the applicant has met the requirements for Medical Staff change of status as recommended.
On a motion by Bill Manier and second by Matt Bierman, the Board unanimously voted to approve the following Medical Staff change of status:
- Catherine Barteau, D.O. – Change of Status from Provisional Staff to Courtesy Staff, Teleradiology Services
On a motion by Victor Lopez and second by J. W. Metcalf, the Board unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 8:57 p.m.
Victor Lopez, Secretary
Dale Blohm, Board Chairman
J.W. Metcalf, 1st Vice Chairman
Diane Nottmeyer, 2nd Vice Chairman
Victor Lopez, Secretary
Greg Engele, Treasurer
Bill Manier, Member
Audrey Finke, Member
Matt Bierman, Member
Nancy Newby, Chief Executive Officer
Tammy Amizich, Chief Nurse Executive
Kim Larkin, Chief Information Officer
Elaine Matzenbacher, Chief Financial Officer
Dave Davenport, Human Resources Director
Ruth Kellerman, Quality Coordinator
board meeting dates
of Directors agenda & minutes