Washington County Hospital
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 7:00 p.m.
Conference Rooms A and B
Dale Blohm, Chair
J. W. Metcalf
Members Not Present:
Harry Jankowski, excused
Nancy Newby, CEO
Kim Larkin, CIO, (exited 8:11 p.m.)
Ruth Kellerman, Quality Coordinator (exited 8:11 p.m.)
Elaine Matzenbacher, CFO
Melodie Wilkey, HR Director (exited 8:11 p.m.)
Marc Zerbe, M.D., Medical Staff President (exited 8:00 p.m.)
Others Not Present:
Tammy Amizich, excused
Called to Order: 7:11 p.m.
Adjourned: 8:40 p.m.
Meeting Agenda Additions/Corrections
The agenda of the May 26, 2009, meeting of the Washington County Hospital Board of Directors was presented for review and approval.
The following amendment was made:
- Add: IV. F. June Board Meeting Date Change
On a motion by Greg Engele and second by David Behr, the Board unanimously voted to approve the May 26, 2009, meeting agenda with the aforementioned amendment.
Previous Board Meeting Minutes
Finance Committee Meetings Minutes
The following meetings minutes were presented for review and approval:
- Board meeting, April 28, 2009.
- Finance Committee meetings, April 8 and 28, 2009.
On a motion by Diane Nottmeyer and second by J.W. Metcalf, the Board unanimously voted to approve the aforementioned meetings minutes.
Financial and Statistical Report
Cash and Cash Equivalents Report
Elaine Matzenbacher presented the Financial and Statistical Report for April 2009. Highlights of the report were:
Total Patient Revenue was $2,022,502. Total Provisions were $812,629. Total Net Operating Revenue was $1,242,376. Total Operating Expenses were $1,224,764. Income from Operations was $17,612, with YTD Income ($61,063). Total Non-Operating Revenue was $36,613, with an YTD Total Non-Operating Revenue of $747,442. Income prior to Depreciation was $13,031. Total Income was $54,225 with an YTD Total Income of $134,379 as compared to a budgeted $134,025.
Additional noted items:
- Key Statistics Report – Although Acute Days were well below budget, Swing/Respite and Extended Care Days were significantly high.
- Supplies and Other Expenses were 20.4% over budget which is consistent with volume.
- The annual bond and interest payment were due May 1 and was paid from our reserve account. This account will continue to be funded throughout the year.
- As of April 30, 2009, WCH has $220,348 of Cash and Cash Equivalents, with a total Noncurrent Cash and Investments of $1,280,864—about a $10,000 difference than a year ago.
- On 5/26/09 WCH received a Medicaid reimbursement payment of $83,000 (waiting for vouchers in order to process).
- WCH anticipates another $200,000 this week in payments from the State which are required for federal match.
On a motion by Greg Engele and second by Rich Tomaszewski, the Board unanimously voted to approve the April 2009 Financial and Statistical Report.
Year-End Status Report on WCH Strategic Plan
Nancy reviewed in detail the year-end report on the Strategic Plan. Additional notes of interest/discussion:
- Indicators met or exceeded targets.
- Patient, physician and staff satisfaction indicators were positive, also.
- The Board will meet to update the Strategic Plan and goals for the next fiscal year which started
- A “WCH Report Card” will be published in the Nashville News.
Year-End Financials Update
Elaine reviewed in detail the year-end report on the Financials:
- Statistics compared to a year ago:
- Acute Patient Days were down (-30.09%).
- Swing Patient Days were up (11.38%).
- Outpatient Visits were slightly down (-0.46%).
- RHC Visits were down (-5.02%).
- Medicaid Patient Days were unchanged (0.00)
- Financials compared to a year ago:
- Increased were Gross Patient Revenue (167.32%), Salary Expenses (5.81%) and Total Expenses (7.21%).
- Net Income was significantly better than last year (579.02%)
- Cash Balance decreased slightly (-0.75%).
Quarterly Joint Conference Committee Meeting
Executive Committee Meeting for Biannual Review of Board
Finance Committee Meeting Date Change
- For time efficiency, the Finance Committee was rescheduled from Wednesday, June 10, to Tuesday, June 9, at 6:00 p.m. in room B.
- The Executive Committee will meet on Tuesday, June 9, at 6:30 p.m. in room B to complete a biannual review of Board closed meeting minutes, in compliance with the Open Meetings Act.
- The Joint Conference Committee will meet on Tuesday, June 9, at 7:00 p.m. in room B.
CAD (Computer Aided Detection) Mammography
Kim Larkin presented the following:
- For years WCH CAD discs have been purchased on a 500-click basis at a cost of $4,000. The vendor has increased the price to $6,000/500 clicks. We are nearing the end of our 500 clicks—anticipate to run out in mid-June
- Information on CAD mammography was presented and would cost $25,050—includes remanufactured SecondLook 300, Viewer and PACS link. In addition, the annual support fee would cost $9,950. CAD equipment would set the stage for future implementation of digital mammography—this equipment currently costs a minimum of $250,000.
- Discussion followed.
On a motion by J. W. Metcalf and second by Rich Tomaszewski, the Board unanimously voted to approve the purchase of another mammography 500 clicks at a cost of $6,000.
IT Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity
Kim Larkin presented a capital equipment request for IT Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity software:
- This is an approved budget item and is a priority in nature.
- It will allow WCH the ability, in case of disaster, to have computer backup for all programs which are running, within one or two business days. Currently the hospital backs up data on tapes, but programs would have to be completely rebuilt to allow the tapes to work in a full disaster.
- The three-component system will cost a total of $30,018.87 and purchased from Dell and CDW-G.
- This is a most cost effective, flexible solution which provides needed protection and offers future expansion.
- Alternative offsite backup systems were discussed; however, costs would be exorbitant.
On a motion by Greg Engele and second by J. W. Metcalf, the Board unanimously voted to approve the purchase of IT Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity software from Dell and CDW-G at a total cost of $30,018.87.
June Board Meeting Date Change
Finance Committee Meeting Date Change
- The June 23 Board meeting was rescheduled to Tuesday, June 30, at 7:00 p.m. in rooms A and B. This will allow Board members to attend the IHA Small & Rural Hospitals Annual Meeting on June 23-25.
- Subsequently, the June 23 Finance Committee meeting was rescheduled to Tuesday, June 30, at 6:30 p.m. in the boardroom.
New Board Member
Nancy reported that Sandy Alfeldt from Oakdale has been appointed to the WCH Board of Directors to fill the vacancy left by Ken Harre.
- Open House is scheduled for Thursday, June 25, afternoon. Details will be forthcoming.
- A PRN RN has been hired; still need a part-time RN.
Community Comments/Questions and Answers
No reporters or community guests were present.
At 8:11 p.m. on a motion by Greg Engele and second by Diane Nottmeyer, the Board took a roll call vote to enter closed session under Open Meetings Public Act 88-621 Sections 2(C)(11)(17)(21). Blohm AYE, Behr AYE, Engele AYE, Metcalf AYE, Nottmeyer AYE, Tomaszewski AYE. Motion carried.
At 8:38 p.m. on a motion by Diane Nottmeyer and second by J. W. Metcalf, the Board took a roll call vote to leave closed session and re-enter open session. Blohm AYE, Behr AYE, Engele AYE, Metcalf AYE, Nottmeyer AYE, Tomaszewski AYE. Motion carried.
Board Closed Meeting Minutes
The following meeting minutes were presented for review and approval:
- Board closed minutes, April 28, 2009.
On a motion by David Behr and second by Rich Tomaszewski, the Board unanimously voted to approve the aforementioned meeting minutes.
Medical Staff Credentials and/or Privileges
WCH Medical Staff and Allied Health Professionals Staff Biennial Reappointments
Limited Time Extension of Privileges/Credentials
On a motion by J. W. Metcalf and second by Greg Engele, the Board unanimously voted:
That credentials/privileges be approved/granted for:
- Richard Garretson, M.D. -- credentials were approved and Provisional Medical Staff privileges were granted specific to emergency services.
- Syed Shah, M.D. -- credentials were approved and Provisional Medical Staff privileges were granted specific to neurology services.
To approve the biennial reappointment of WCH Medical Staff members and Allied Health Professionals Staff members as presented (see list below).
To grant a limited time extension (through June 30, 2009) of privileges as presented (see list below) in order to complete the reappointment process.
On a motion by J. W. Metcalf and second by David Behr, the Board unanimously voted to adjourn the meeting at 8:40 p.m.
Richard Tomaszewski, Secretary, Board of Directors
2009-2011 MEDICAL STAFF BIENNIAL REAPPOINTMENT
Gill, William, M.D.
Moy, Edward, M.D.
Renk, Don, CRNA
REQUEST FOR LIMITED TIME EXTENSION OF PRIVILEGES/ CREDENTIALS
(extension through June 30, 2009)
Davidson, Robert, M.D.
Chavez, Salvador, M.D.
Datzman, Matthew, M.D.
Velez, Kenneth, M.D.